|Born||January 21, 1868|
|Died||April 3, 1941(aged 73)|
|Place of birth||Guadaloupe|
|Place of burial||Philadelphia National Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Unit||USS Petrel (PG-2)|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Girandy, of Pennsylvania, joined the Navy and served during the Spanish-American War in 1898. On March 31, 1901, he was working as a Seaman on the USS Petrel (PG-2) when a fire broke out on the ship. For his actions on that occasion, Seaman Girandy was awarded the Medal of Honor one year later, on March 22, 1902. His official Medal of Honor citation reads: "Serving on board the U.S.S. Petrel, for heroism and gallantry, fearlessly exposing his own life to danger for the saving of others, on the occasion of the fire on board that vessel, March 31, 1901." He continued to serve in the Navy into World War I.
Girandy died at age 73 and was buried in Philadelphia National Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Medal of Honor citationEdit
Rank and organization: Seaman, U.S. Navy. Born: January 21, 1868, Guadaloupe, West Indies. Accredited to: Pennsylvania. G.O. No.: 85, March 22, 1902.
Serving on board the U.S.S. Petrel, for heroism and gallantry, fearlessly exposing his own life to danger for the saving of others, on the occasion of the fire on board that vessel, March 31, 1901.
- List of Medal of Honor recipients during Peacetime
- List of African American Medal of Honor recipients
- This article incorporates from websites or documents of the United States Army Center of Military History.
- ↑ "Medal of Honor recipients - Interim Awards, 1901-1911". Medal of Honor citations. United States Army Center of Military History. October 3, 2003. http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/inter1901-11.html. Retrieved January 15, 2007.
- "Alphonse Girandy". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7205757. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|