|Place of birth||New York|
United States of America|
United States Navy|
|Unit||USS Pontoosuc (1864)|
American Civil War|
• Second Battle of Fort Fisher
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
On January 15, 1865, the North Carolina Confederate stronghold of Fort Fisher was taken by a combined Union storming party of sailors, marines, and soldiers under the command of Admiral David Dixon Porter and General Alfred Terry. Betham was a member of the naval storming party.
Medal of Honor citationEdit
The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Coxswain Asa Betham, United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving on board the U.S.S. Pontoosuc during the capture of Fort Fisher and Wilmington, North Carolina, 24 December 1864, to 22 January 1865. Carrying out his duties faithfully during this period, Coxswain Betham was recommended for gallantry and skill and for his cool courage while under the fire of the enemy throughout these various actions.General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 59 (June 22, 1865)
Action Date: January 15, 1865
Division: U.S.S. Pontoosuc
- List of American Civil War Medal of Honor recipients: A–F
- List of Medal of Honor recipients for the Second Battle of Fort Fisher
- "Asa Betham". Hall of Valor. Military Times. http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=206. Retrieved June 9, 2010.
- "Asa Betham". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=9352691. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|