|British Forces Gibraltar|
Entrance to HMS Rooke at Queensway, Gibraltar - headquarters of British Forces Gibraltar.
|Branch|| Royal Navy|
Royal Air Force
|Part of||British Armed Forces, UK Ministry of Defence|
|Commanders||Commodore Adrian Bell|
British Forces Gibraltar is the name given to the British Armed Forces stationed in the British overseas territory of Gibraltar. Gibraltar is used primarily as a training area, thanks to its good climate and rocky terrain, and as a stopover for aircraft and ships en route to and from deployments East of Suez or Africa.
A handful of units are permanently based in Gibraltar for its territorial defence:
- HQ, British Forces Gibraltar
- Royal Gibraltar Regiment - the territory's permanently based light infantry battalion, consisting of both regular and reserve elements.
- Joint Provost and Security Unit
- Royal Navy Gibraltar Squadron - two Scimitar class patrol boats, HMS Scimitar and HMS Sabre, and three rigid hulled inflatable boats.
- RAF Gibraltar - Gibraltar's military airfield has no resident units, but is utilised as and when required by aircraft on deployment or exercise.
- Gibraltar Services Police - a civilian police force responsible for enforcing civil law on MoD property in Gibraltar, and is responsible to Commander, British Forces Gibraltar.
- May 2004 Commodore David White 
- 19 January 2005 Commodore Allan Adair 
- 1 May 2007 Commodore Matt Parr 
- 16 Feb 2009 Commodore Adrian Bell 
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|