|Place of birth||Lisbon, New York|
|Place of cenotaph||Red Mills Cemetery Lisbon, New York|
United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1845 - 1866|
|Unit||USS Richmond (1860)|
|Battles/wars||American Civil War|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Sprowle was born in 1811 in Lisbon, New York, and entered the Marine Corps from Boston, Massachusetts, June 13, 1845. He was an orderly sergeant assigned to the marine detachment aboard the USS Richmond (1860) when it was sent to fight in the American Civil War during the Battle of Mobile Bay.
He was discharged from the Marine Corps December 1, 1866 in Washington, D.C.. Although his date of death, cause and burial location are unknown there is a cenotaph and headstone for him located in Red Mills Cemetery Lisbon, New York.
Medal of Honor citationEdit
Rank and organization: Orderly Sergeant, U.S. Marine Corps. Born: 1811, Lisbon, N.Y. Accredited to: New York. G.O. No.: 45, 31 December 1864.
On board the U.S.S. Richmond during action against rebel forts and gunboats, and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks, Orderly Sgt. Sprowle inspired the men of the marine guard and directed a division of great guns throughout the furious battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Civil War (M-Z); Sprowle, David entry". Medal of Honor recipients. United States Army Center of Military History. July 28, 2010. http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/civwarmz.html. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Schuon, Karl (1963). U. S. Marine Corps biographical dictionary. New York: Franklin Watts. p. 214. http://books.google.com/books?id=WMY6AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA214.
- ↑ Don Morfe (January 04, 2004). "David Sprowle". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8242499. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
- "David Sprowle". Hall of Valor. Military Times. http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=597. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
- "Sergeant David Sprowle, USMC, (Deceased); Civil War 1861-1865 Medal of Honor recipient". Who's Who in Marine Corps History. United States Marine Corps, History Division. http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/Whos_Who/Sprowle_D.htm. Retrieved August 6, 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|