|Born||September 26, 1850|
|Died||August 26, 1923(aged 72)|
|Place of birth||New York|
|Place of death||Washington, D. C.|
|Place of burial||Arlington National Cemetery|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1872 – 1914|
|Commands held||6th Cavalry Regiment|
*Battle of Big Dry Wash
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Frank West (September 26, 1850 – August 26, 1923) was a United States Army Colonel who was a recipient of the Medal of Honor for actions in fighting Indians at the Battle of Big Dry Wash, Arizona. West is an 1872 graduate of West Point.
Early life and the western frontierEdit
West served in the 6th Cavalry Regiment on the western frontier. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for rallying his men against a fortified position at Big Dry Wash, Arizona. Three other men, Second Lieutenant George H. Morgan, Second Lieutenant Thomas Cruse and First Sergeant Charles Taylor were also awarded Medals of Honor in this action. Morgan and Cruse are also Academy graduates.
His wife was Rebecca Kenyon (1851–1912).
Medal of Honor citationEdit
West was awarded the Medal of Honor in 1892 for action at Big Dry Wash, Arizona, on 17 July 1882.
Citation: "Rallied his command and led it in the advance against the enemy's fortified position."
- This article incorporates from websites or documents of the United States Army Center of Military History.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Medal of Honor recipients Indian Wars Period". United States Army Center of Military History. http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/indianwars.html. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Frank West". Arlington National Cemetery. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/fwest.htm. Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- ↑ "Frank West". Home of Heroes. http://www.homeofheroes.com/gravesites/arlington/west_frank.html. Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- "Frank West (Medal of Honor)". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7591255. Retrieved May 19, 2009.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|