|Died||December 28, 1891 (aged 56–57)|
|Place of birth||Sligo County, Ireland|
|Place of cenotaph||Maple Hill Cemetery Charlotte, Michigan|
United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Years of service||1861-1865|
|Battles/wars||American Civil War|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Michael Hudson (1834 – December 28, 1891) was a sergeant serving in the United States Marine Corps during the American Civil War who received the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Battle of Mobile Bay.
Life and careerEdit
Hudson was born in 1834 in Sligo County, Ireland, and after immigrating to the United States he entered the Marine Corps from Brooklyn, New York, September 12, 1861. He was a sergeant assigned to the marine detachment aboard the USS Brooklyn when it was sent to fight in the American Civil War. On August 5, 1864, during the Battle of Mobile Bay the Brooklyn, along with several other ships waged a campaign against several confederate controlled forts and gunboats. During the battle the Brooklyn suffered severe damage and several men on board were killed. Hudson continued fighting through the 2-hour battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram CSS Tennessee. For this action he received the United States militaries highest decoration for valor, the Medal of Honor December 31, 1864.
Medal of Honor citationEdit
Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Marine Corps. Born: 1834, Sligo County, Ireland. Accredited to: New York. G.O. No.: 45, 31 December 1864.
On board the U.S.S. Brooklyn during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite severe damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked the decks, Sgt. Hudson fought his gun with skill and courage throughout the furious 2-hour battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Civil War (A-L); Hudson, Michael entry". Medal of Honor recipients. United States Army Center of Military History. August 9, 2010. http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/civwaral.html. Retrieved August 10, 2010.
- ↑ Schuon, Karl (1963). U. S. Marine Corps biographical dictionary. New York: Franklin Watts. p. 108. http://books.google.com/books?id=WMY6AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA108.
- ↑ "Sergeant Michael Hudson, USMC, (Deceased); Civil War 1861-1865 Medal of Honor recipient". Who's Who in Marine Corps History. United States Marine Corps, History Division. http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/Whos_Who/Hudson_M.htm. Retrieved August 10, 2010.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Michael Hudson (Medal of Honor)". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. September 3, 2002. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/6747515. Retrieved August 10, 2010.
- "Michael Hudson (Medal of Honor)". Hall of Valor. Military Times. http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=2358. Retrieved August 10, 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|