In 1977, numerous UFOs were seen in the Brazilian city of Colares, Pará. The UFOs allegedly fired light beams at people, causing injuries and sucking blood from 400 witnesses. Due to the shapes of scars found on witnesses, local residence named them "Chupa Chupa" (literally Sucker-Sucker, not to be confused with the Chupacabra). After a rise in local concern, José Ildone Favacho Soeiro, the mayor of the city, requested help from the Air Force, organizing night vigils and using fireworks to keep the lights away.
The operation was commanded by Captain Uyrangê Bolivar Soares Nogueira de Hollanda Lima. During late 1977, several pictures of strange lights were recorded. In approximately four months, Uyrangê and his team managed to reestablish peace and order in the region. The operation was closed with no proofs of unusual phenomena. The official documents can be read here.
Uyrangê's interview and deathEdit
In 1997, two decades after the operation, Captain Uyrangê gave an interview to researchers Ademar José Gevaerd (editor of UFO Magazine, founder and president of the CBPDV (Centro Brasileiro de Pesquisas de Discos Voadores, or Brazilian Center of Flying Saucer Research), national director of the Mutual UFO Network) and Marco Antônio Petit. In this interview, he recounted his experiences living alongside his men. Some three months after the interview, he was found dead hanging by his own belt.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 EFE (10 August 2010). "FAB cria normas para pilotos em caso de contato com ovnis" (in Portuguese). Terra. Telefónica. http://noticias.terra.com.br/ciencia/fab-cria-normas-para-pilotos-em-caso-de-contato-com-ovnis,7f19f9d4566ea310VgnCLD200000bbcceb0aRCRD.html. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Rodrigues, Fernando (11 January 2009). "SNI investigou óvnis durante a ditadura" (in Portuguese). SNI investigated UFOs during the dictatorship. Brasília: Grupo Folha. pp. A10-A11. http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/fsp/brasil/fc1101200907.htm. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Cardoso, Rodrigo (22 July 2013). "A história oficial dos ÓVNIS no Brasil" (in Portuguese). ISTOÉ. Editora Três. http://www.istoe.com.br/reportagens/11862_A+HISTORIA+OFICIAL+DOS+OVNIS+NO+BRASIL. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Abbud, Bruno (24 January 2011). "Objetos voadores quase identificados" (in Portuguese). Veja.com. Grupo Abril. http://veja.abril.com.br/blog/augusto-nunes/feira-livre/objetos-voadores-quase-identificados/. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- ↑ Charleaux, João Paulo (17 December 2013). "No princípio era um chuchu" (in Portuguese). piauí. São Paulo: Editora Alvinegra. http://revistapiaui.estadao.com.br/edicao-83/esquina/no-principio-era-um-chuchu. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Dantas, Pedro (14 August 2010). "Aeronáutica libera documentos sobre aparição de óvnis" (in Portuguese). O Estado de S. Paulo. Rio de Janeiro: Grupo Estado. http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/impresso,aeronautica-libera-documentos-sobre-aparicao-de-ovnis,594959,0.htm. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- ↑ "Operação Prato" (in Portuguese). Linha Direta. Rede Globo. 25 August 2005. http://redeglobo.globo.com/Linhadireta/0,26665,GHT0-4604-212882,00.html. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- ↑ "José Ildone Favacho Soeiro" (in Portuguese). Linha Direta. Rede Globo. 25 August 2005. http://redeglobo.globo.com/Linhadireta/0,26665,GIH0-4605-212877,00.html. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- ↑ "Brazil air force to record UFO sightings". Latin America. 12 August 2010. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10947856. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- ↑ "UFOs e ETs na Amazonia" (in Portuguese). Revista UFO. Mythos Editora. 2009. http://www.ufo.com.br/loja/videoteca/ver/ufos-e-ets-na-amazonia/. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- ↑ "Uyrangê Bolívar Soares de Hollanda Lima" (in Portuguese). Linha Direta. Rede Globo. 25 August 2005. http://redeglobo.globo.com/Linhadireta/0,26665,GHT0-4604-212882,00.html. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Operação Prato at Revista Vigília (Portuguese)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|