The Pindad SS1 (short for Indonesian: Senapan Serbu 1, or "Assault Rifle 1") is an indonesian weapon manufactured by the PT Pindad in 1991 based in the FN FNC, it is being replaced by the Pindad SS2 since 2006, however the SS1 is still being used in the Indonesian Military and in other four countries.
DescriptionEditAfter 10,000 FN FNC rifles were bought for the Indonesian military, Pindad secured a license in 1984 from FN to manufacture the FNC. In 1991, the Indonesian state company PT Pindad (Bandung Indonesia) launched the assault rifles SS1 (Senapan Serbu 1 - Assault Rifle 1) chambered in caliber 5.56x45mm NATO, which was formally adopted by the Indonesian Army (Tentara Nasional Indonesia/TNI) and Mobile Brigade of Indonesian National Police (Kepolisian Negara Republik Indonesia/POLRI).
Pindad SS1 rifle is a modernized licensed copy of the Belgian assault rifle FN FNC. Changes in Pindad SS1 were related to ergonomics and the use of weapons in the tropics, as well as the method of manufacture.
Besides the Indonesian Army, the Pindad SS1 were also exported to Cambodia, Nigeria and United Arab Emirates. In Indonesia the SS1 are being replaced by the Pindad SS2 since 2005 but still are being used by the regular Indonesian infantry.
- Cambodia: Exported in 1991.
- Indonesia: Komando Pasukan Katak (Kopaska) tactical diver group and Komando Pasukan Khusus (Kopassus) special forces group. Used by the Indonesian military.
- United Arab Emirates: Exported in 1992.
The short-barreled and compact carbine variant.
Variant based on the Pindad SS1-V1 with standard barrel and fixed butt.
The smallest variant of SS1 with a 252 mm barrel and 3.37 kg weight with foldable butt. Used by engineers, artillery forces, rear-echelon troops and by special forces.
- SS1-R5 Raider
Another sub-variant of SS1 V5 called SS1-R5 is designed for special forces especially for Batalyon Raiders. The SS1-R5 is a lighter and slimmer design which doesn't sacrifice high accuracy. Designed for special forces operations such as infiltration, short distance contact in jungle, mountain, marsh, sea and urban warfare. SS1-R5 can be attached with bayonet and various types of telescopes.
- Sabhara/Police V1-V2
A variant of the SS1-V5, made specifically for Indonesian customs as the rifle is named Senapan Bea Cukai (Indonesian for Customs & Excise Rifle). Fires in single shot instead of full automatic.
- Caliber: 5,56x45mm NATO
- Length (butt opened): 997mm (SS1-V1; SS1-V3; SS1-V4; SS1-M1), 890 mm (SS1-V2), 770 mm (SS1-V5; SS1-R5).
- Barrel Length: 449mm (SS1-V1; SS1-V3; SS1-V4; SS1-M1), 363 mm (SS1-V2), 252 mm (SS1-V5; SS1-R5).
- Weight (w/o Magazine): 4,01 kg (SS1-V1; SS1-V3; SS1-V4; SS1-M1), 3,91 kg (SS1-V2), 3,37 kg (SS1-V5; SS1-R5).
- Mechanism: Gas-operating, rotating bolt
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|