|Place of birth||Barbados, West Indies|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Unit||USS Kansas (1863)|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Pile was born in 1849 on Barbados and after immigrating to the United States he joined the navy. He was stationed aboard the USS Kansas (1863) as an ordinary seaman when, on April 12, 1872 several members of the crew were drowning. For his actions received the Medal of Honor March 20, 1905.
Medal of Honor citationEdit
Rank and organization: Ordinary Seaman, U.S. Navy. Born: 1849, West Indies. Accredited to: Massachusetts. G.O. No.: 176, 9 July 1872.
Serving on board the U.S.S. Kansas, Pile displayed great coolness and self-possession at the time Comdr. A. F. Crosman and others were drowned, near Greytown, Nicaragua, 12 April 1872, and by his extraordinary heroism and personal exertion prevented greater loss of
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Interim Awards, 1871-98; Pile, Richard entry". Medal of Honor recipients. United States Army Center of Military History. August 3, 2009. http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/int1871-98.html. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
- ↑ "Kansas". Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. Navy Department, Naval History & Heritage Command. http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/k1/kansas-i.htm. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
- Crosman, Alexander F.; Hatfield, Chester; Lull, Edward Phelps (1874). Reports of explorations and surveys for the location of a ship-canal between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, through Nicaragua. 1872-'73. Government Printing Office, United States Navy. pp. 10–11. http://books.google.com/books?id=in0hAAAAMAAJ&source=gbs_navlinks_s. Retrieved October 9, 2010.
- Don Morfe (August 12, 2010). 56970928 "Richard Pile". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/ 56970928. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
- "Richard Pile". Hall of Valor. Military Times. http://valor.militarytimes.com/recipient.php?recipientid=2654. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|