|Born||August 18, 1887|
|Died||May 13, 1943(aged 55)|
|Place of birth||Pittsburgh Pennsylvania|
|Place of death||San Diego, California|
|Place of burial||Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, San Diego, California|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1906 - 1937, 1941 - 1943|
|Unit||USS Florida (BB-30)|
U.S. occupation of Veracruz, 1914|
World War I
Medal of Honor|
Semple achieved the rank of Lieutenant Commander. He received the Medal of Honor for his service during the Vera Cruz campaign. He also received the Navy Cross for his service in the North Sea minefields during World War I. After retiring in 1937, he was recalled at the start of World War II, and died while on active duty.
Semple is buried at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, San Diego, California.
Medal of Honor citationEdit
Rank and organization: Chief Gunner, U.S. Navy. Born: 18 August 1887, Pittsburgh, Pa. Accredited to: Pennsylvania. G.O. No.: 120, 10 January 1924. Other Navy award: Navy Cross.
For meritorious service under fire on the occasion of the landing of the American naval forces at Vera Cruz on 21 April 1914. C.G. Semple was then attached to the U.S.S. Florida as a chief turret captain.
- "Robert Semple (Medal of Honor)". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/memorial/7397613. Retrieved 2007-12-12.
- "homeofheroes.com: Gravesite of Robert Semple". http://www.homeofheroes.com/gravesites/states/pages_pz/semple_robert.html. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "homeofheroes.com: MOH citation". http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/citations_1900_wars/mx_semple.html. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "MOH recipients from the Vera Cruz campaign". http://www.history.army.mil//html/moh/mohmex.html. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "WWII Semple" (pdf). http://www.chulavistaca.gov/vet/WWII/Semple,%20Robert.pdf. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|