Thank you for helping out here!!! I made you an administrator, and I hope that you can keep this wiki free of vandals! -- Sgt.johnson
You removed some of the US Army Enlisted rank pictures... most aren't appointments, and they deserve to be up there. Specialist and Corporal, First Sergeant and Master Sergeant, Sergeant Major and Command Sergeant Major. SMA should be up there, but in the "Special" category.
- The problem with that is that when that template is incorporated into the big tables (which is the entire point of these templates) it distorts and takes a disproportionally large amount of space, reducing the usefulness of that table (as you can't compare them if they take a screenful each). In the above link you can see that each service gets a limited amount of space, and it needs to be that small for the table to be readable as a table, which is why we don't just have them on separate pages.
- You cannot add extra columns onto the table, as that forces a distortion. If you want a tenth enlisted rank then that needs to be added to every enlisted rank template, without exception. The problem is that most forces will not use that tenth rank, and so it will be an almost empty column and a waste of precious space in these tables. Stick to the 9 enlisted rates and 12 officer ranks specified by NATO, but you can merge two together and specify multiple positions/ranks within those pay grades, so long as it doesn't use up too much space (which adding multiple insignias on vertically does).
- To demonstrate this problem, see Comparative Ranks. Those two tables use only the text of every existing rank, but still takes up a massive space, and gets confusing with the overlaps. The idea behind these tables was to have a small amount of information for each rank, so that the ranks for lots of services could be displayed in one table. This is a slightly different purpose to the similar tables at Wikipedia, which is why I have constructed them in a different manner.
- However, there should certainly be a page dedicated to the ranks of each individual force (eg Ranks of the US Army, if not two or three (Officer, WO and Enlisted), and that can go into extreme detail. This will not use the templates we are currently setting up, because they are intended to be part of the large compiled tables.
- I thought that First Sergeant was a temporary appointment to the highest-ranking NCO looking after a large group of troops? I may be wrong. Wikipedia says that it is a temporary assignment during a First Sergeant billet, but is also a valid rank for this period, sharing the E-8 pay grade.
- If you wish to discuss some of this, I am often on IRC at irc.wikia.com, channel #gtawiki. Hope I made my points clear, obviously these things need to be agreed and set in stone before we proceed - Gboyers (?) 02:19, 1 February 2008 (UTC)
Specific vessels Edit
Can you write articles about specific ships like the USS Constitution or ship classes like the Iowa-class battleships on this wiki?--Long Live the United Earth 03:46, 27 July 2008 (UTC)
- I will help Also (mechteen)
- I don't see why individuals shouldnt be mentioned, I have nothing against it. Most people should probably only be shown in a list (eg a list of RN Admirals, or list of VC recipients), but some important people should have their own pages. Try and keep it to only the most important people, since this wiki is still missing a lot more important stuff. Thanks - Gboyers talk 20:38, 8 August 2008 (UTC)
Understood.--Long Live the United Earth 22:19, 8 August 2008 (UTC)
Im not combining becuase this Wiki has been inactive for some time and I know from other Wikis that it's leadership is dictatorshiply based and they are generally complete dicks who are unopen to critization. THat Is why I started my Wiki, which is mostly revolved around currently Military Technology.--184.108.40.206 20:23, September 16, 2009 (UTC)
It said when I first found this wiki when searching that it was adopted by someone I know from other Wikis to be a complete dick thats why--ECWUSA1995 00:53, September 17, 2009 (UTC)
I'm sorry my friend but I already have my wiki to attend to and I havnt been using wikia very much latley anyway. Good luck to you though.--220.127.116.11 20:37, September 17, 2009 (UTC)
Thanks, I haven't got much time so the article is up and ready to be edited further. Also, I'm not sure where I should start putting the link since it's about the SA80 family and not just the rifle, would that be suited in the weapons section or wait till the rifle page is up? Here's the link anyway so you can take a look and see what needs doing with and to it. http://military.wikia.com/wiki/SA80
Whos the admin here? - Harald97.
Did you know there is another Military wiki? Should we merge the wikis? Well i find it annoying with two military Wikis. Here is a link: http://globalmilitary.wikia.com/wiki/Military_Wiki. I hope we can merge them.
huh ok how do we merge?ECWUSA1995 00:40, April 5, 2010 (UTC)
Yes it should be deactivated and I would love to have admin status if you dont mindECWUSA1995 01:13, April 12, 2010 (UTC) 01:10, April 12, 2010 (UTC)
No problemECWUSA1995 23:17, April 19, 2010 (UTC)
Are them merged? I hope they are. Harald97
They are merged!!! :D Harald97
Ad free Edit
Hi! Would you like this wiki to be ad-free? I'm looking for wikis to be part of a new program which would remove all ads from the wiki for $19.95/month.
Thanks for making me a Admin. be sure that i will do my best to improve this wikia Cypher.3 Ura!! Lets blow something 23:12, June 28, 2010 (UTC)
A Forum? Edit
Hey GBoyers could you create a forum to our wiki?
Inteligence Services Edit
Could i create an article about the CIA and FBI??
Someone put the fictional and mitological weapon's category, i don't think that we should put fictional things in a MillitarY wiki, should i delete it?
One more question, there are a category of bladed weapons, is bladed weapons admited in this wiki?
Anyway sorry for my bad english Cypher.3 Ura!! Lets blow something 01:07, September 16, 2010 (UTC)
Importing articles about military groups from the Wikipedia Edit
Articles like Wikipedia:27th Transportation Center (United States) and Wikipedia:105th Military Police Company (United States) are up for deletion now. Others have already been deleted. I was thinking that sort of information belongs on a military wikia. You are an active administrator, so I figured I asked you to go to Wikipedia:Special:Export import them, among other similar articles. You can look at all the categories things like that are in, and add them all at once. Wikipedia:Category:Companies_of_the_United_States_Army_National_Guard Wikipedia:Category:Military_units_and_formations_of_the_United_States_Army_National_Guard Wikipedia:Category:United_States_Army_National_Guard Wikipedia:Category:Military_police_companies_of_the_United_States_Army Very quick and easy to do. Then as an administrator, you can click special pages, find the import option only administrators can see on wikias, and import them over. You can grab their most recent history, or import the entire edit history if you don't mind do it in chunks. Dream Focus 23:02, August 21, 2010 (UTC)
Hey Gboyers what do you think, you think that is a good idea to replace the fighter aircraft in the main page by a slideshow of Aircraft, Weapons and Tanks?
Air Force squadrons that are Aerobatic teams, like the Esquadrilha da Fumaça here, the Blue Angels in USA and the Red Arrows on UK should be on this wiki??? User:Cypher.3 Ura!! Lets blow something 02:14, September 19, 2010 (UTC)
- No reason why not! So long as they are part of the military, not civilian. Gboyers talk 17:22, September 19, 2010 (UTC)
Hey Gboyers an user today made an article about Gibraltar, should the articles about contries, like Germany and the one i cited earlier, should be renamed as Military history of <Insert Country here> or these articles should keep with their names??
User:Cypher.3 Ura!! Lets blow something 01:22, April 22, 2011 (UTC)
Hey Gboyers could i include operations realized by federal polices?? And can i create an article about federal polices as well??
User:Cypher.3 Ura!! Lets blow something 22:46, June 4, 2011 (UTC)
Hi there! I'm trying to adopt this wiki. I have a team of people and a python bots to help fix the broken link pages and fix this place up. Do you mind making me an Administrator to show your approval of this? I'm just editing by myself right now, but many more will join me in the effort to fix the Military Wiki. It would help a great deal if you could give me Administrator rights here, so Wikia will know that you approve of this request, and I can send my team in. I'm also a very accomplished template maker, with experience in CSS, Js, and HTML. I implore you to grant me these rights and I can use my bot.
- Hi Edward, I think this wiki just needs good old-fashioned content and a dash of organisation more than anything. You can make as many edits or templates as you like, and even send your "team" in, without needing admin/ownership of the wiki. Let's see how things go, and I look forward to seeing your work! Gboyers talk 22:56, August 23, 2013 (UTC)
Team? What? Oh! I see we have different senses of humor.That was a terrible joke and I see that now. The adoption request went through though and I'm proud to announce that, due to this wiki's administration's lack of participation in editing, I'm Head Admin. I shall however, due many changes through democratic voting. You will see that I am here to do nothing but help this wiki. I'll mainly be working on this wiki's design. Trust me, I'm very good at this. I have employed a bot, by the name of Pvt.Ed, to moderate the chat, and do what bots do. I'm also thinking of bringing achievements back. I look forward to having fun here with the rest of the administration team. Cheers,